Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Victim of an "Authentic Fake"

Throughout my lifetime I have fallen victim to what Umberto Eco calls, "The authentic fake", also known as hyperreality. For example, the movie "Arachnophobia" directed by Frank Marshall and released in the 90's which depicts, "a wayward tropical arachnid that promptly sets up web in [a] barn out back," in a small town residence and proceeds to multiply and kill numerous people, may have some bearing on why I am mildly creeped out by spiders today. When I was really little and my mom and dad thought I was asleep, I was standing behind the couch they were sitting on while they were watching this movie. I happened to come out at the absolute best time, as one of the unreal and horrible eight legged freaks crawled slowly down a man's sleeping bag whereupon its fangs glistened and sunk into the man, sending me bawling and falling desperately for cover behind the couch. A further example of my falling victim to hyperreality was after watching the movie, "Big Fish" which sappily portrays, "a love story that pushes the limits of plausibility," (Overstreet). Within this movie Edward Bloom the main character falls deeply in love with someone who he claims to be destined to be with. (Alright, here it goes......*sigh*). I had a huge crush on a girl at school and even in the midst of another relationship, I felt I had to be with this other girl who I was "destined" to be with and who I would end up happily with, living out the wildest love tale of my life. What I learned from this was that this girl who used to like me, whatever that means as it pertains to highschool romances, had moved on and the girl I broke up with to be with this other girl ended up getting her feelings hurt. Concluding sentence: Again, keep it real........and avoid highschool relationships that become romantically involved.

http://www.ultimatedvd.org/en/trailers/Details.aspx?Trailer_Id=1014
Overstreet, John. http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/reviews/bigfish.html

No comments: